Steve Hammond is an emerging scratchboard artist, who considers his work an expression of life. When he selects an image for scratchboard, it’s all about the light. It’s amazing how just a handful of highlights, can create a piece that continues to draw you in – where you literately can’t stop looking”. With scratchboard, the power of the piece is achieved primarely through the use of black and white.
The surprise, is if I take the time to capture the detail with effective technique, the results are powerful”. Steve is one of very few scratchboard artists who works on larger formats in this medium which not only take longer but the impact of their size just emphasizes his attention to detail and technique. Steve is a Signature Member of the International Scratchboard Society.
Steve also works in Acrylic and his paintings are an expression of color and a different way to look at his subjects. Steve’s works in large and small formats in his paintings. He takes a fresh approach to his paintings and finds them a huge release compared to working in
Steve Hammond earned his degree from the Colorado Institute of Art, in Advertising and Design. He is a Partner and the Creative Director of H2R, Harshman, Hammond and Rice. Steve is a native of Colorado, who is currently working and living in the Pacific Northwest in Gig Harbor Washington.
Museum and National Group Shows:
• Lake Oswego Arts Festival, 2015-2019
• The Pittock Mansion - Mount Hood Exhibition, 2020 Peoples Choice
• Arts Council of Lake Oswego Plein Air Show - 2020-21
• Signature Member of the International Scratchboard Society -2022
• International Scratchboard Exhibition in Tuscon Arizona Museum -2020 Winner of BRONZE
• International Scratchboard Exhibition Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada -2021
• International Scratchboard Exhibition Brandenton Florida, Manatee Art Center -2022